Terry Whitt Bailey
Dr. Terry Whitt Bailey, Democrat Candidate for Mayor, is admired as a fearless leader in the Muncie community, an activist for intentional collaborations and partnerships, and an advocate for quality education and transformative government.
Terry was appointed in 2012 as Director of Community Development for the City of Muncie, overseeing a $1.8 million budget. She serves as grantmaker for Community Development Block and HOME Investment Partnership Grants. She is also responsible for a $4 million grant to the City of Muncie for Blight Elimination and, most recently, a $325,000 grant for Lead Hazard Reduction.
Prior to her appointment, Terry had a successful career as an arts administrator, serving as President & Chief Executive Officer of the Historic Madame Walker Theatre Center in Indianapolis and Cornerstone Center for the Arts in Muncie, Indiana.
Terry previously held positions with Ball State University, most notably as the Director of Executive Staff & Administrative Affairs (Chief of Staff) for the Office of the President. She also was an Assistant Professor at Ball State and Chicago State Universities.
Since moving with her family to Muncie in 1997, Terry has served on twenty-seven (27) Non-Profit Boards.
CURRENT BOARD SERVICE:
· IU Health-Ball Memorial Hospital
· Meridian Health Services
· United Way of Delaware & Henry Counties
· Muncie Land Bank
· Muncie Action Plan
· Muncie Industrial Revolving Loan Fund
· Delaware Advancement Corporation
· Prosperity Indiana (formerly Indiana Association for Community & Economic Development)
OTHER COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP:
· Noon Rotarian
· Member Anderson-Muncie Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (Immediate Past President)
· Founding member of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dream Team
· Inducted into the Rutgers University African American Alumni Hall of Fame
· Past-President of the Indiana Coalition for the Arts
· Member of 2019-20 Class of Hoosier Women Forward
· Two (2) Mayor’s Community Service Awards
· Indiana Community Arts Leadership Award
· Very Important Volunteer Award (V!VA)
· Tobacco Free Coalition Community Partners Award
· Merrill Greene Service Award from Muncie Rotary
· Athena Award from Women in Business Unlimited (WIBU), Inc.
· National Organization of Women Vivian Conley Award
B.A., Rutgers University
M.A., University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Post-graduate studies, Harvard University
Doctor of Ministry Degree (D.Min) from Newburgh Theological Seminary
· Member of Union Missionary Baptist Church (served as the Director of Children & Youth Ministries, the Director of College Ministry and the Director of the Creative Arts Ministry)
· Married for 28 years to John S. Bailey, Jr.; They have two adult children and four grandchildren